The Metaverse was a topic that we heard repeatedly in 2022. We associate it with the media influence of Mark Zuckerberg and Meta development. But this technology has much more background and applications than those aimed at the public. Its greatest potential lies in the facilities that it can bring to the business and industrial world: The Industrial Metaverse.
What is the Industrial Metaverse?
Industrial Metaverse is a term that refers to a virtual version of the real world, specifically for the industrial sector. It allows users to experiment, simulate, and develop solutions in a controlled environment before implementing them in the real world. Its applications can range from personnel education and training to process planning and design and production optimization. It is a new way of developing certain activities, where virtual environments can have a positive impact on industry efficiency, security, and sustainability.
The Metaverse concept arises from the beginning of Virtual Reality and simulation technology development. As these have been advancing towards the possibility of making them more accessible, the interest in applying them to the industrial world arise.
Let’s think that the industry by concept focuses on the improvement of its processes and systems. Now, combined with the possibility of simulating the industrial world, companies can test and optimize their processes and solutions. This has been advancing and we are now at an unprecedented tipping point, which will escalate into never-before-seen possibilities.
Why now? Thanks to the advanced technologies’ rapid development such as artificial intelligence, 5g networks and Cloud Computing, the Industrial Metaverse has found its momentum given the need to improve efficiency, reduce costs and find new and innovative solutions in all sectors.
Benefits of the Industrial Metaverse
These are just a few examples and benefits of investing in this technology in different areas of the value chain. We will see more and more applications of the rapidly growing Industrial Metaverse across a wide range of industries.:
- Simulated environment: The Industrial Metaverse is a virtual environment that allows users to experiment with industrial solutions before implementing them in the real world.
- DHL has used Industrial Metaverse for supply chain simulation, allowing them to optimize their logistics processes and reduce costs.
- Honeywell has used the Industrial Metaverse for the simulation and optimization of its industrial processes, as well as for virtual demonstrations of its products to customers.
- Increased Efficiency: Industrial Metaverse enables companies to simulate and optimize industrial processes before implementing them in the real world, leading to increased efficiency and reduced costs.
- BMW has used Industrial Metaverse for virtual prototyping and design, allowing them to test and refine their vehicles before building physical prototypes. As well as for the launch of its iX1 electric car.
- Training and Education: Employees can receive training and education in the Industrial Metaverse, which can improve their performance on the job and reduce the time and cost required to train them in the real world.
- Siemens has used Industrial Metaverse for the training and development of its employees, as well as for the simulation and optimization of its industrial processes.
- Safety improvement: The Industrial Metaverse allows users to simulate emergencies and assess how they would react before they occur in the real world, which can improve safety in the industry.
Keys to the success of the Industrial Metaverse
By addressing these key drivers, the Industrial Metaverse has the potential to be a transformative technology for businesses, providing new opportunities for efficiency, innovation, and growth. Let’s see some decisive elements for its implementation:
- Interoperability: The Industrial Metaverse should be interoperable with existing systems, thus allowing companies to easily integrate their current technology and processes into the metaverse.
- Scalability: It must be scalable to accommodate the growing number of users and applications, as well as to handle increasing amounts of data and processing requirements.
- User adoption: Users are the key element to the success of the Industrial Metaverse. Companies and their employees must embrace technology and see the value it can bring to their business processes.
- Privacy and security: You must provide strong privacy and security features to protect sensitive data and intellectual property.
- Affordable Technology: The technology required to access and use the Industrial Metaverse must be affordable and accessible to businesses of all sizes.
- Industry Standards: Industry standards must be established to ensure interoperability and consistency across the Industrial Metaverse. In this way, companies can collaborate among themselves, intertwining their business processes. This is where it multiplies its power.
- Advanced Technologies: The industrial metaverse must continue to take advantage of advanced technologies such as artificial intelligence, 5G networks, and cloud computing to deliver new capabilities and improve the user experience.
The Industrial Metaverse offers companies the ability to test and optimize their processes, equipment and solutions in a controlled environment. To ensure its future success, Industrial Metaverse must be interoperable with existing systems, scalable, widely adopted, secure, affordable, and based on industry standards to reap its full benefits.
By providing new opportunities for efficiency, innovation, and growth, Industrial Metaverse has the potential to be a transformative technology for companies of all sizes and across a wide range of industries.